- Mini split HVAC - Individual room temperature control.
- Hardi board siding- Fire resistance.
- Low E insulated glass windows -Lower electric bills.
- Amana/Whirpool - Energy Star appliances.
- LED lighting fixtures.
- Tile & Real Hardwood floors.
- A lot of natural lighting.
- Landscaping taken care of for you.
- Plenty of shared parking space.
- Extended kitchen counter for table space.
- Plenty of storage space all throughout.
- Granite counter-tops.
- Stainless steel appliances.
- Vaulted ceiling in living room.
- Walk-in closet in master bedroom.
- Washer & dryer included.
- Ceiling fans throughout.
- Non-Student Property.
- 3 bedroom/2.5bathroom (1 unit) $1450 approx 1780 sqft.
- 2 bedroom/2.5bathroom (8 units) $1300 approx 1620 sqft.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are questions frequently asked by prospective tenants. Click here to view Current Resident FAQ's.
Q: Where can I get information on your available properties?
Q: How do I take a look at an available HarrisonburgHousing.com property?
A: We allow prospective residents to view housing by setting up an appointment with one of our Leasing Agents. Please visit our office at 202 North Liberty Street Suite 101 or give us a call at 540.434.5150 during normal business hours (M-F 9:00AM-5:00PM). An appointment may be scheduled to view our occupied properties by contacting our office as well. Please note that every attempt will be made to work with your schedule, but the current residents must be notified and given sufficient notice, typically 24 hours, that their home will be shown. You will need to show a valid Photo ID prior to leaving the office with one of our Leasing Agents. View the current listing of available properties.
Q: What do I do if I am interested in leasing a property through HarrisonburgHousing.com?
A: All adults must fill out an application, be approved or obtain a Guarantor, or agree to be a party to a Joint/Individual Lease. View our Guarantor Form.
Q: Who must fill out an application?
A: Each adult (person over 18 years of age) planning to occupy the property must fill out an application.
Q: Why must all adults fill out an application?
A: Every adult who resides in the property must be listed on the lease to have a legal right to occupy the property. We must verify the suitability of everyone on the lease.
Q: What is your application fee?
A: Our application fee is $35 (Non-refundable) per applicant.
Q: How do I qualify to lease a property?
A: Each Prospect will qualify by meeting 1 of 3 standards below:
- Have suitable credit history, rental history, criminal history and income that meets or exceeds 3 times the monthly rent for the property that you are trying to qualify for.
- Have suitable credit history, rental history, criminal history and agree to be a party to a joint lease.
- Have suitable credit history, rental history, criminal history and obtain a guarantor with suitable credit history, rental/ownership history, criminal history and income that meets or exceeds 5 times the monthly rent for the property that you are trying to qualify for to guarantee your obligations.
Q: What is the difference between a Joint Account and an Individual Account with HarrisonburgHousing.com?
A: In a Joint Account all people listed as Tenant are equally and severally liable for performance of the lease and will be held liable for all payments due or damage done to a property. In an Individual Account the individual is only liable for performance of their share of the lease and will only be held liable for their share of the payments and their share of damage done to a property.
Q: Why does my guarantor have to fill out an application?
A: Just like our residents that do not need a guarantor, we must evaluate the creditworthiness of all involved in our leasing process. The guarantor’s credit must be satisfactory and income must be approximately five times the monthly Rent.
Q: What do I need to submit with my application?
A: A valid photo ID, and a $35 Non-refundable application fee in the form of check or money order.
Q: What factors do you use in determining if my application is approved?
A: First and foremost, we operate in strict compliance with all Fair Housing Guidelines. After receiving an application we investigate rental / ownership history, credit report, criminal report and income verification.
Q: How much can I qualify for?
A: Typically, we require monthly household income of applicants to be three times the lease payments. In other terms, your lease payments can be approximately 33% of the gross monthly income of the Tenants on the Lease.
Q: How long does it take to process my application?
A: Typically, once we have all pertinent info required (including Application Fee) we can fully process your application within 2 business days. Email us once you have applied so that we know to check your application in our system.
Q: After my application is approved, what do I do?
A: We will contact you as soon as possible to let you know that you have been approved. You should then immediately schedule a Lease Signing appointment with a HarrisonburgHousing.com leasing agents to secure your new housing.
Q: How long are your leases?
A: Most of our leases are for a minimum of 12 months; however, we do lease some properties for shorter or longer terms as determined by our owners. At the end of the initial term, the lease will revert to a year to year tenancy unless otherwise agreed to or proper Termination Notice given.
Q: What does your lease say?
Q: Do you accept pets?
A: This property does not accept pets.
Q: Do I need Renters Insurance?
A: Yes, our residents are solely responsible for insuring their own personal property that is located or stored upon the property leased. Any loss from the risks of damage, destruction or loss resulting from theft, fire, storm and other hazards and casualties are your sole responsibility.
Q: How do I turn on utilities?
A: The resident is responsible for placing all utilities in their name and pay all utility bills due for services to the premises for which resident is responsible (unless otherwise agreed to in the lease). At the termination of the lease the resident is responsible for having all utilities services disconnected and must submit proof of the Final Bill being paid to Management.
Q: What am I responsible for as a resident?
A: Typically, all residents are responsible for :
- Securing all utilities for housing, unless otherwise provided
- Changing the furnace/air conditioning filters monthly
- Minor repairs to your home, including, but not limited to, to replacing light bulbs and clogged drains
- Changing the smoke detector batteries during tenancy (these are new when you move in)
- Pest control
- Complying with all Homeowner Association Rules
- Following the terms of your lease - Click here to view a Sample Lease.
Q: What do I have to pay prior to moving in?
A: You are responsible for paying the Security Deposit, Routine Systems Maintenance Fee, Key Fee, and First Month’s Rent prior to being issued your keys.
Q: How can I pay rent to HarrisonburgHousing.com after I move in?
A: Once your account is created you can login to your account and make an electronic payment online. You may also set up auto payments through your online account.
Q: What happens if I bring in an application for a property that already has one or more applications submitted?
A: All applications are accepted and processed on a first come-first served basis. Due to our fiduciary relationship to the owner, if more than one application is submitted before approval of an application we are required to select the highest rated application.
Q: How much security deposit is required?
A: We require a security deposit on EVERY property leased. Usually the security deposit is the same as one month's rent but may be more or less but in no case shall exceed two month’s rent (the security deposit required but will be detailed in your lease).
Q: What do you do with my security deposit?
A: All security deposits are held in strict accordance with the VRLTA in an Escrow Account.
Q: When is rent due?
A: Rent is due on the 1st of the month and considered late after 5pm on the 5th of the month. Rent must be in our office by 5pm on the 5th of the month. If you pay rent after 5pm on the 5th of the month there is a late fee that is assessed per your Lease.
Q: When are new properties posted?
A: Our HarrisonburgHousing.com is updated continually to reflect our current inventory of properties.
Q: What if my application is denied?
A: In the event your application is denied, we make every effort to contact you promptly regarding the denial. We encourage those who are denied to find a suitable guarantor so they can lease the housing of their choice from us.
Q: How does the application process work?A:
- Each adult planning to occupy the property must fill out an application allowing Matchbox to perform a credit check, rental history check, and criminal background check. All people over 18 years of age will need to apply individually for a property. If applicant is a student or not employed, a guarantor must be used or they must agree to become a party to a Joint Account. The guarantor must also fill out an application and the guarantor form, as well as pay the application fee.
- There is a $35.00 non–refundable application fee for EACH applicant that is payable at the time the application is filled out. Payment must be in the form of Check or Money Order.
- You will need to have a valid Photo ID for each application that is filled out.
- Once your completed application is received, your information will be processed and within 2 business days you will be notified as to whether or not you have been approved for the property. During this time frame, we will run your credit report, perform a criminal background check, verify current employment, and check your rental references. If you are approved for the property we will contact you and the lease process will follow.
- After signing a lease, the Security Deposit, Routine Systems Maintenance Fee, Key Fee, and First Month’s Rent will be due at the date of move in when you come to pick up your keys.
Please contact Matchbox at 540–434–5150 x 114 with any questions that you may have about the application or leasing process.
Once you have completed your application, please contact our office to ensure a timely response.
- Internet included.
- Water included. ($35 cap)